Some thoughts from HWAH about starting a Senior Sanctuary…
- This type of place takes 100% devotion and that could mean a 24/7 / 365 days a year commitment, so make sure you commit to a rescue or sanctuary that fits your personal passion.
- Have a reliable source of income (preferably not your own personal funds).
- Plan how you will earn income for the sanctuary before you start.
- Grants, Sponsors, & Donations are fine, but not dependable.
- If you use/develop a group of Volunteers, understand the limitations that can bring, both to how things are done, and when they are done.
- Most importantly, understand that, unfortunately, you cannot save them all. Set a limit to the number of pets you can serve and stick to it.
Some links to good articles about Starting a Rescue or Animal Sanctuary.
Old Friends Senior Dogs: